Travel Trouble to DC

This weekend I traveled to Washington DC with my wife for a friends birthday.  As usual I tried to book us on Delta Airlines because I have the most status and points with them from all my business travels to date.  I did have enough points for one ticket so I used that for my wife and I purchased mine so I could get some points from Delta.  The trip up required a stop over in Atlanta since there is no direct flight using Delta.  A funny thing happened, I was upgraded for both legs of the journey while my wife was stuck in coach.  I received a lot of flack for that one from our friends in DC but getting upgraded is a Delta decision, not mine.

Anyway, we ended up being delayed in Ft. Lauderdale for about an hour which used up all the cushion for our next leg of the journey to Washington.  I continued to check the status of the next flight hoping it too would be delayed but I didn’t have so much luck in that department.  We actually got to Atlanta with about 20 minutes to spare but had to wait 5 minutes in the plane so that they could move a baggage cart that was blocking the gate!  Such idiocy!  Put the cart elsewhere not in front of a gate!

Since I was up front in First Class, I decided to sprint for it through ATL to see if I could get them to hold the flight.  I was at gate A23 and my connecting flight was at gate B1.  Those of you who fly through Atlanta know how far away that is and sprinting with a rollerboard isn’t the easiest thing to do.  I sent a text message to my wife on what gate to run to, we weren’t the only people on the plane late for connections, practically everyone was trying to connect to their next destination.  I was able to make it to the gate with 2 minutes to spare (or so I thought only to realize that the door was shut and the status on the board said “Departed”.  BLAH!  My wife was all the way at gate B16 when I told her the bad news so there was no need to sprint further.

The good thing was that we were guaranteed to be on the next flight out on Saturday morning (this basically killed my sight seeing plans for the day) but we were stuck in Atlanta for the night.  Delta provides counters so you can get vouchers so I decided to get in line and wait with everyone else that missed their connection.  The line was LONG and the wait was just as bad.  There were some check in kiosks that was able to give us our vouchers and my wife’s boarding card (seat request!).  Now here is where my status came into play again.  Since I bought my ticket separately from my wife’s, we were given vouchers for two different hotels. My wife got the lovely Red Roof Inn and I was able to get the much nicer Double Tree.  I thought that was kind of funny but in the end we stayed together at the Double Tree since it was the nicer of the two.

The next day we were able to leave, but again we weren’t seated together because I had a First Class ticket and she had to sit in coach.  It’s a good thing we were flying JetBlue home, I think she would have been upset if I got First Class on the way home too.

The actual trip to DC was nice, too bad it rained on Saturday.  I was only able to see the Washington Monument and the WWII monument.  I was so close to getting to the Lincoln Memorial but the rain stopped us (we didn’t have an umbrella) so we turned back and got ready for our friends party.  I might go back to DC for a longer visit next time so I can see a bit more of the city and take in the sights of the Capitol.  Well, back to work!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s